At tonight’s solar, we had a spontaneous outbreak of canton commons. Here are the minutes from said meeting. Please read, even if you were in attendance! There were many overlapping conversations.
* In attendance: Godiva (MoAS), Anneke (incipient deputy webminister), Beatrice, Angelica (Chatelaine), Caitlin, Alienor (seneschal & webminister), Mathghamhain (youth marshal & herald).
* Anneke has submitted the warranting form & Alienor has emailed the EK webminister, Lord Greylever, to approve Anneke being warranted as deputy web minister of Whyt Whey. In related news, Alienor has emailed Lord Greylever about becoming Østgarðr deputy webminister, and Arnora has emailed to approve this position. We await Lord Greylever’s response on both deputy positions.
On Anneke’s status for holding canton officer as a resident of Brokenbridge: EK bylaws: “1. only residents of the canton/riding may hold canton/riding offices unless they choose to change their charter to allow officers other than Seneschal and exchequer to live outside of the canton/riding.” Østgarðr bylaws: “To be an officer of a canton a person must have been active in the canton three months to hold canton office other than canton seneschal which requires a six month residency.” Our interpretation is that Anneke, who has been active in Whyt Whey for much longer than 3 months, is allowed to hold canton office other than seneschal, which has a residency requirement.
* Þórfinnr has volunteered to be Deputy Seneschal of Whyt Whey. His service is eagerly accepted by acclaim. [Edit: oops, not Þórfinnr. Ibrahim, was it you who volunteered for this position?]
* The Cloisters demo at Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival, Oct 1st, is on the EK calendar. The usual planning will begin after Pennsic. Alienor has expressed our anticipation of the upcoming event to the festival coordinator, Kendall Hudson, who looks forward to our participation again this year. Please do communicate any new ideas you might for the demo before then, so we can bring our resources to bear.
* We have found a suitable location for a schola and are picking a date! October 28 seems suitable. Are there any objections? The location is McAlpin Hall, on the second floor of West Park Presbyterian Church at 86 street and Amsterdam. http://nyc.spacefinder.org/spaces/14781 Alienor and Beatrice will canvass the site soon.
Co-autocrats for the schola will be Godiva and Beatrice. Among our activities will be a “toast your failures” competition: show off a mistake you made, share what you learned from it, and drink prosecco / sparkling cider to celebrate your growth. Day board will be an extravaganza of hand pies among other suitable goodies. We are hoping to solicit pie contributions from some of our many fine bakers in the area *stares at Vika & Beatrice encouragingly making mmmming sounds*.
* Tonight’s solar generated 2 double-batches of sekanjabin, one ginger and one mint, which will be decanted into Mason jars tomorrow by Alienor and Beatrice. Personal jars will be delivered to their recipients at Viking Day demo on Saturday. The remainder will be served in Østgarðr’s camp at Pennsic. You are welcome to taste-test the results at Viking Day.
* Our next solar, June 15th, will be a garment making / repairing extravaganza for Pennsic. We are skipping the July solar, as your hostess will be out of town. The August solar will be a share-what-you-learned-at-Pennsic social. The September solar will be a knitting class taught by Caitlin, just in time for scarf-making season.
* Fencing practice in Central Park (at 81st & Central Park West) this week went well; 4 fencers in attendance. A similar number attended dance practice on the same evening nearby (at Belvedere Castle in Central Park).
* Archery practice is resuming in Staten Island on Sunday (Willowbrook Park). Please let Alienor know if you would like a ride, departing from 106th St. at Broadway around noon.
* Beatrice is leading an effort to make fencing hoods in the provincial green and white. Linen is acquired. Facebook conversation will begin among Beatrice, Caitlin, Ann, Will, Godiva and Angelica.
* Alienor is working on youth fighter tabards in the provincial green & white, which is conveniently also the cantonal green & white. Youth combat list poles and rope (both also green & white) are constructed, painted, and ready to be deployed! Huge thanks to Mathghamhain for his beautiful work.
* Our herald reports that 2 devices have recently been submitted. 2 badges are in submission. 1 device is being prepared for submission. Mathghamhain remains open to assist anyone in or out of the canton who wishes to register a device, add a badge or reformat their heraldic art for use on banners or other types of display (business cards, machine embroidery, silk painting).
* Beatrice reminds us that we need to fundraise for the provincial coronets! One idea for fundraising is a silent auction at the schola.
* Angelica reports that the last message number in the Whyt Whey yahoogroup is 11922. Alienor has forwarded the message number to Lord Joel of Vestfell requesting he run the scripts to transfer the message archives from the cantonofwhytwhey yahoogroup to our EK mailing list Whytfirstname.lastname@example.org.